Some of the treatments will restore periods to normal, while others will stop the periods.
1) If the abnormal bleeding is caused by lack of ovulation either starting ovulation or regulating the cycles can control the bleeding. This is usually done with birth control pills or cyclic progesterone.
2) In cases of PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) diet,exercise,weight control, birth control pills if fertility is not immediately wanted, or clomiphene if fertility is wanted soon. In cases of insulin resistance medications and proper diet are beneficial.
3) Heavy periods can be temporarily arrested by using a Progesterone IUD.
4) Fibroids can be removed. This procedure is called myomectomy.
5) Endometriosis treatment options are DMPA (Depomedroxyprogesterone acetate) GnRH agonists, surgery, danazole, Progesterone IUD. The appropriate choice varies based on the individual situation.
6) Polyps are removed with hysteroscopy.
7) Bleeding due to clotting factor defects are treated with various modalities. In cases of von Willebrand disease the use of NSAID’s (nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs) such as Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Naproxen and some others should be avoided.