Antioxidant agents and antiaging capabilities are being studied and some intriguing facts are emerging.
- Vitamin C or ascorbic acid is a direct antioxidant. It is abundant in citrus fruits and berries. It also aids in collagen production.
- Vitamin E as alpha tocopherol and tocotrienols found in olive oil, asparagus, almonds, nuts, green leafy vegetables, spinach and wheat germ.
- Vitamin A and carotenoids are found in spinach, kale, mangoes, papayas, carrots, yams, sweet potato leaves and sweet gourd leaves.
- Co Q 10 and Lipoic acid are found in fruits and vegetables. Co Q 10 or Ubiquinone helps in electron transport, in aerobic cell metabolism and in generating energy from ATP.
- Lipoic acid helps in aerobic metabolism and is able to regenerate vitamin C, vitamin E and GSH.
- Plant Polyphenols are found in fruit skins, berries, grapes, olive oil, pomegranates, walnuts and peanuts. Green tea Polyphenols are found in green tea.
- Resveratrol is found in grapes, blueberry, mulberry, bilberry and peanuts. Because it has anticancer and cancer preventing effects it is very important.
- Ferulic acid, chlorogenic acid, quinic acid, caffeic acid are found in grains, fruits, vegetables and coffee cherry.
- Phloretin is found in apple skins.
- Quercetin is found in apples, green leafy vegetables, prickly pear cacti, berries, cherries, red grapes, red onions, tea, capers, tomato, orange, broccoli, raspberries and cranberries.
- Soy flavonoids and Genistein have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits.
- Silymarin is found in milk thistle.
- Curcuminoids are found in curcumin roots. It is also anticancer.
- Isothiocyanates (Sulforaphane) are found in broccoli sprouts.
- Nordihydroguiaretic acid is found in the creosote bush and the chaparral bush.
- Carnosic acid, ursolic acid and rosmarinic acid are found in rosemary, basil, sage, lavender, peppermint, elder flower, oregano, thyme, prunes, apples, cranberries, hawthorn and bilberries. They are anti-inflammatory and anti cancer.
Other antioxidants are Acai berry, CoffeBerry, ginseng, tea tree oil, Gingko Biloba, soy, licorice and pomegranate, bromelain and chamomile.