A thorough evaluation of all factors contributing to infertility are needed. The following are essential:
1) Age is a significant factor because after 35 the quality and quantity of eggs decline
2) Sperm count and function should be determined by a semen analysis.
3) Ovulation problems are important and should be given prime consideration.
4) Fertilization can be difficult or impossible due to tubal factors or the inability of the sperm to swim up through the cervical mucus.
5) Implantation issues can be related to the endometrial lining or the shape of the uterus.